Knowledge is also key when it comes to efforts to protect the environment. Many people want to help but sometimes they are unaware of the best practices or products to buy. Velotec works to educate the public and our customers on the best methods to preserve and protect their products. We recommend using only non-bio washing powder. Regular BIO washing powder, and particularly liquid seems to break down Lycra.
We want customers to know that washing your cycling kit with the right detergent will help the environment by not breaking down chemicals in the Lycra that get washed into our water; but it will also make it look better and last longer. Using an environmentally friendly product, and less than the recommended amount of detergent, if possible, also helps protect the environment and preserves clothing. The longer we can keep the kit looking and feeling new, the better; and if it helps the environment, we can all be happier.
- It is recommended to wash the garments after each use in order to protect the fibres from bacteria
- Before washing, reverse the items keeping the stitching outside.
- Wash the garments separately.
- Use washing bags, a gentle cycle and warm water (max 30°).
- Do not use fabric softeners and bleach and never tumble dry. The use of softeners damages the fabric’s fibers and also the foams of the pads, compromising their normal function.
- There are two main problems that can occur over time--that is piling and deterioration of the fabrics. To avoid piling, do not wash the garments together with gloves, backpacks and shoe covers that have a velcro strap. The piling is not a manufacturing defect.
- To avoid the deterioration of the fabrics--we suggest to wash garments after each use in order to maintain the quality of the fibres.
- Sun creams, oils or muscle heating products can damage the textile fibres of the garments.